Thursday, September 22, 2011

Let the Sun Shine

Harsh shadows, but check out the earring.


So we need light to make pictures, just like we need water to live.  Not enough, and we languish. Too much and we drown.  A bright, sunny afternoon presents certain challenges for photography.  Specifically, harsh shadows, glare, and overexposed images.  But once again, we can break the rules and still have a pleasing image.
 
Dogs in ceremonies are great.

Great Highlights


I love how her face and hair are blown out in highlights, but it seems sort of ethereal.  It really gives the viewer a sense of the heat of the sunlight.  Or maybe it looks cheesy, like an ad for a Lifetime movie.  I guess it's your opinion.



The most romantic moment

Here the effect is more subtle.  It still works, but the image isn't quite as striking.  Many people have said that more traditional images tend to stand the test of test of time better than mer experimental images.  So there is something to be said for an image that is "less striking." 
Detail Shot

More Details


Detail images often come out well, usually because they are still-lives and don't tend to move, so I can get really sharp images.  The light is still blown out here, but I like the effect of the image being awash with light.

Eye Contact

Eye Contact

I love these shots of subjects looking into each other's eyes.  It's just such an intimate composition.  It communicates the sentiment of an emotion between subjects. 

Laughing? Singing?


And images like this that tell a story.  They look like they are laughing, but I think they are actually singing along to the music.  Either way, it still captures the moment in way that conveys some sort of message or emotion.  

Look into my eyes.

One of my favs


These two are some of the best pictures I've shot.  Well, I guess that would again be my opinion.  But I love the light, the tone, the contrast, the composition.  They really draw and hold the eye. 

No comments:

Post a Comment