Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Hot 'n' Sweaty!



You get to the point where you've sweated so much that your underwear is cemented to your butt cheeks.  That happened about 15 min into the shoot on Sat.  

We were at a mansion, and the couple wanted to do formals (formally posed photos) with the bridal party before the ceremony.  They started with a "reveal" when the bride and groom see each other in their weddin' getups for the first time.  The bride and her gals arrived in a limo that was roughly the size of a city bus.  The mansion has a windy gravel driveway, and the security guard told him he had to back in, or else he would get stuck.  This led to the limo driver doing a 900-pt turn.  


This one is a little overexposed, but I think I like those really hot highlights on her face.  

That's the correct exposure, still works.  
I've never seen a bridal party this large.  Seven groomsmen and eight bridesmaids.  I guess they were figuring that if we had to go to war with a rival wedding, we wouldn't be outgunned  

The temp and humidity were in the 90s, so everyone was bathed in sweat within a few minutes.  I had to get some napkins for the groomsmen to dab their brows, and the bridesmaids were on permanent powder duty for the bride.  The staff at the mansion kept assuring us that it would cool off after the sun went down.  That never really happened.  We did get a great sunset, but it was still hot after dark.  Also, the wedding was in a tent, and even though the sides of the tent were open, it still held the heat in pretty good.

Wedding colors were yellow and green.  Very summery.  The bridesmaids had yellow dresses, and the groomsmen had yellow ties and boutonnieres (thank you spell-check).  They did cupcakes with yellow frosting instead of a cake.  And the bride's dress was all sparkly.  (I should really learn more wedding terminology).


Hot and sweaty, but still dancing. 
The heat didn't stop anyone from dancing.  In fact, I think it caused people to drink more, which made them want to dance more.  I got pictures of a lot of sweat-soaked dancers.  I learned something interesting, that really should have been more obvious, about shooting in an open tent.  One side of the tent is closed, so if you shoot with that in the background, you get a boring white background, but if you shoot with the open side in the background, you get a great background with the sunset or whatever's outside.
White background.  Blah.  

Also, the DJ played "Poison" by Bel Biv Devoe.  I remember having a copy of it on vinyl.  Rupert asked me who sang it when it came on.  I said BBD.  He disagreed, so I asked the DJ.  She told me that I was right, but then quizzed me on what else BBD sang.  I had no recalled, but it was "Do me!"  Then I asked her to play "Funky Cold Medina" but she refused.  She offered "Wild Thing" as a consolation, but it's just not the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment