Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Preppin'!


 So this was my first time shooting the bridal preparations.  The wedding was in Narragansett, the day before Irene.  I met the bridal party at the hotel, and one of the bridesmaids took me to the beauty salon to meet the bride.

The stylist told me in no uncertain terms that I was not allowed to photograph her face, just her hands and the bride's face.  She told me "today is all about the bride, not me" (me being her, the stylist).  Later she confided that she thinks she is not photogenic and hates appearing on camera.  It was a shame, because I had a few nice images with her in them, but I had to crop her out.

This shot is pretty traditional.  I think I desaturated it too much and cooled the temperature too much.  I really like cool tones, blues, grays, and silvers.  I'm aiming for "silvery light" an "airless environment," a sense of depth, and light that fills the image.


This one is much warmer, and the contrast between the warm tones and the cool tones is relatively pleasing.


Picking out a lipstick color.  The stylist and I both voted for the more vibrant red.  It "pops" on camera.

 I think it really started feeling real when she put the veil on.


One of those behind the scenes moments.  Eating a last slice of pre-wedding pizza.  The room was kind of dark, and the lighting came out too warm.  Still, a cute and funny moment though.  


Love the light in this one.  It just blows out the sensor, but it really washes over her.

The groom's prep was less involved.  It mostly involved scotch and kissing the baby.  I left out the scotch.

No comments:

Post a Comment