Monday, May 21, 2012

Engagement at the Fishin' Hole

 Engagement sessions are great.  It gives me a chance to meet and get to know my clients.  It gives them a chance to see how I work.  Most importantly, it allows them to get some time in front of the lens, so they can relax and get used to having their picture taken.

 Most people aren't used to being photographed.  Even when they are, it's usually only one or two pictures, and usually in a large group.  Or maybe it's just a picture with a cell phone, or even more commonly, their own camera that they've given to a friend. 
Clients often ask: Do I look into the camera?  Should I look away?  Another one?  Another one? 
 But once they get used to it, they really start to loosen up, and I can see their personalities come out in the pictures. 
 I like to try a lot of different poses. 
 And some detail shots.  This couple was brave.  The water was cold!
 This is one way to make sure it doesn't look posed. 
 And I always try to catch subjects off guard. 


And make use of the landscape.  Putting a subject in a landscape is surprisingly difficult.  The people are the subject of the shot, but I want the background to show some character too. 

1 comment: